Frequently Asked Questions

Do you incorporate in other provinces? 

No. We operate in Alberta only.

How much do you charge for incorporation?

We charge a flat fee of $495 plus disbursements and GST. The all-in cost for an Alberta numbered corporation is approximately $900.

Our incorporation service includes preparing and registering all documents for Corporate Registry, preparing all required minute book documents, assembling the minute book, a detailed minute book signing & orientation session, and registering the corporation for a Business Number (BN) with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). CRA registration may include opening a GST account and/or a payroll deductions account, depending upon your need.

Naming your corporation upon its creation costs an extra $45 per name search (NUANS report).

A corporate seal costs an extra $48, if desired.

Canada corporations (federally incorporated) require additional registration in at least one province, which in Alberta amounts to an additional $350.

All disbursement prices are dictated by third-parties and subject to change without notice.

How much do you charge for other services?

Most of our services are billed out at the rate of $100/hour, and we bill in six minute increments.  Some very select services are billed on a flat fee (example: incorporation). Disbursements are extra.

Why not incorporate myself at the registry?

You can go to the registry, self-register, and you will save some money. However, you may then have to hire us or a lawyer to fix all the things that weren’t done correctly or completely. In all our experience, we have never seen a do-it-yourself incorporation done right. We recommend you get it done right, the first time. Hire a professional.

The registry won’t prepare your minute book or register you with the CRA. We don’t know any law firms that will register you with the CRA either.

What is a NUANS report?

A NUANS report is a name reservation report. It will show all the similar corporate names, trade names, and trade marks registered in the jurisdiction. NUANS reports are specific to the jurisdiction, thus an Alberta NUANS is not sufficient for a Canada corporation, or vice versa.

What is the difference between incorporating provincially and federally?

The practical and operational differences are very minor. Generally, a federal corporation is more expensive to create and maintain.

Incorporating provincially registers you in only that province. This is sufficient for many businesses. Nobody else in the province can have your corporate name, but someone in another province could.

Incorporating federally registers you across Canada, but each province you operate in will require that you also register extra-provincially with them, for extra charges. This makes incorporating federally more expensive. The primary benefit is that your corporate name will be reserved for you across Canada.

These are simple answers, and an expert should be consulted for technical clarification, if needed.

Can an Alberta corporation register in another province?

Yes. The process is called Extra-Provincial Registration. There may be name conflicts in the other province, necessitating the adoption of a different name in that province. Registering in another province will require you to have an office or agent-for-service in the province. You do not need to abandon your Alberta registration to register extra-provincially elsewhere.

What is, and do I need, a corporate seal?

A corporate seal is used in the execution of documents, usually legal documents. The seal may be embossing or an ink stamp. The use of a seal can alleviate the need for additional legal documents, and thereby save some added costs. A corporate seal is not required (unless you choose to make it required in your bylaws).

Does my corporation need a name?

No, but a unique name may be desirable in many circumstances. Without a name, your corporation will have a numbered name such as “1103087 Alberta Corporation” or “1103087 Alberta Ltd.”

What’s the difference between Ltd., Inc., and Corp.?

Every corporation in Canada must contain a legal element to its name, including those with a numbered name. The acceptable legal elements are Limited, Ltd., Incorporated, Inc., Corporation, Corp., and their French equivalents. There is no difference in legal meaning. The abbreviated words (Ltd., Inc. and Corp.) are typically used to keep corporate names shorter than the fully spelled versions, however, once a form is selected, you cannot use them interchangeably. For example, if your corporation’s registered name is “Joe’s Widget Corporation” it is not permissible to show it as “Joe’s Widget Corp.” nor is it permissible to do the reverse.

What do LP, LLP, and LLC mean?

LP stands for Limited Partnership, and differentiates itself from a general partnership. A Limited Partnership has at least one general partner, and at least one limited partner. See our discussion on partnerships for further clarification.

LLP stands for Limited Liability Partnership, which is a partnership with many of the same benefits as corporations enjoy. LLP’s are reserved for certain professions (Accountants, Chiropractors, Dentists, Lawyers, Medical Doctors, and Optometrists).

LLC stands for Limited Liability Company, which has no meaning or legal status in Alberta. It is widely used internationally, but takes on different meanings depending on the jurisdiction.

What is a Trade Name?

A trade name is simply an assumed business operating name used by a sole proprietor, a partnership, a corporation or other legal entity. Trade names are popular where the registered name is not convenient. For example, “CIBC” is much easier to read, write, or to say, than its full version, “Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.” Similarly, a trade name such as “The Flower Store” is more appealing than referring to the same business as “that flower shop that John Doe operates.” There is no restriction on registering a trade name already in use by somebody else, however doing so may give rise to a civil lawsuit.

I need a Commissioner for Oaths – can you do that?

Yes. We can commission your affidavit or statutory declaration.

Any other questions?

We get lots of questions, but can’t list them all here. Please feel free to contact us with your unique questions.